Chief Operating Officer
APPLICATION WINDOW NOW CLOSED
Thank you to all of you who applied for this role. We are currently reviewing applications and conducting interviews.
Please note: Due to the high volume of applicants if you do not hear from us it means you were unsuccessful on this occasion.
Chief Operating Officer
Kili Hub, Moshi, Tanzania
Full time – 45 hrs per week
Anza seeks a highly talented and passionate COO to lead the organisation’s operations in our office in beautiful Moshi, Tanzania.
Open to all nationalities. Application deadline has been extended to March 10th (previously February 28th).
STRATEGY & MANAGEMENT (55% time)
- Participate in long term organisational strategy creation and planning, quarterly and annual.
- Assist with ensuring correct resources are in place for the organisation to grow – HR and fundraising strategies.
- Ensure creation of all professional development plans – develop staff-wide schedule according to gaps e.g. training & mentorship opportunities.
- Ensure implementation of performance reviews.
- Lead other elements of growing a cohesive team: recruitment, onboarding, team days etc.
- Supervise and manage staff, ensuring their effective completion of projects, and helping them achieve their best professional selves.
- Be a leader among leaders in maintaining the organisational culture, professionalism, and highest quality management standards.
- Drive softer, cultural HR – ensure core values are embedded and the mission and vision are clear and being lived.
- Ensure good governance for 3 entities (Anza UK, Anza Tanzania & Anza Growth Fund). Coordinate the preparation and submission of all documents and reports – including annual report & annual accounts.
- Ensure adherence with all relevant local laws and regulations.
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT & REVENUE GENERATION (15% time)
- Assist with financial oversight of the organisation as a whole
- Assist Director of Finance in creation of quarterly budgets, annual cash flow and conducting actual vs. budget analysis with department managers.
- Assist the CEO in actively soliciting new contracts and fee for service engagements that fit our core skills, confirming scope of work, and allocating resources for effective project management.
- Work with the CEO to cultivate and steward current and potential donors, including foundations, high net-worth individuals and banking partners.
PARTNERSHIPS & ENGAGING EXTERNAL STAKEHOLDERS (15% time)
- Represent Anza at ministry meetings, conferences, and other public speaking engagements.
- Develop and maintain relevant high-level partnerships and collaborations to build a pipeline of partners for recruitment, lending, and mentorship.
- Assist in creation of partnership strategy – identify key long term partners & type of engagement.
- Develop and manage Anza’s advisory board.
PROGRAMMES OVERSIGHT (15% time)
- Oversee and manage Anza programming, with specific focus on Kili Hub (co-working space).
- Participate in the Anza Growth Fund “Investment Committee” meetings as a strategic advisor and high-level partner.
- Serve as an in-country point-of-contact for institutional contracts, including billing, contract execution, etc.
- Assist with delivery of relevant contract work.
We prefer those individuals who have previously taken on significant leadership and management responsibilities.
Basic Qualifications Include:
- 10+ years experience in relevant or applicable field, with strong preference for individuals working in Africa with SMEs, entrepreneurship, investment, or strategy consulting
- Deep commitment to Anza’s mission, vision, and culture
- Self-starter, with proven ability to produce results within budget and time deadlines
- Proven track record of leadership, planning and management responsibilities
- Significant experience of staff management in a senior role
- Fluent in written and spoken English, with strong preference for additional fluency in Swahili
- Unrelenting perseverance, personal integrity, and critical thinking skills
- Must have own computer and cell phone
- Advanced education qualifications required (MBA preferred)