Chief Operations Officer
|Job Title:||Chief Operations Officer (COO)|
|Salary:||TSH 4m+ depending on qualifications & experience|
|Application Deadline:||Position open until filled|
Jibu Tanzania is a social business pioneering a powerful model that provides opportunities for entrepreneurs in underserved emerging market communities to own businesses that ensure access to basic human necessities, with packaged drinking water as an anchor product.
Vision (Our BIG Goal):
Revolutionize the way critical resources are leveraged to meet basic necessities in Tanzania.
Mission (Our Purpose):
Building a network of locally-owned franchise businesses in Tanzania who provide access to affordable drinking water in their communities.
This position is focused on and responsible for overseeing and managing all operational and business aspects of Jibu in Tanzania on a day to day basis – to include planning and supporting expansion operations. The expectation is that the COO will quickly identify opportunities within the operation to make improvements and continue growth in the most effective way possible. This will include proactively identifying and overcoming gaps and weaknesses, assessing strengths and utilization of team members, helping both staff and managers to develop priorities and implementation plans, helping with the professional development of team members, incorporating fresh and innovative ways of doing things that will yield greater results for the company and its operations. The COO will directly be involved in all company activities, leading from the front, with a can-do attitude.
– Internal Interfaces –
• Managing Director
• Supply Chain department
• Franchising department
• Quality and Production department
• Finance department
• Sales and marketing department
• HR & Training department
– External Interfaces –
• Jibu franchisees & staff
• Jibu Global partners
• External stakeholders
- Manage and support successful operations across corporate, franchisee and AMF stores, to include in part: quality assurance, approved products and suppliers, procedural compliance, retail offering compliance and brand protection
- Oversee and manage the supply chain strategy, operations and staff
- Support financial planning efforts, including budgeting, forecasting and P&L analysis alongside the Finance Manager, Franchising Director and MD.
- Measure effectiveness and efficiency of operational processes both internally and externally and find ways to improve processes
- Improve day to day accountability against operations and strategy across Jibu in close coordination with managing director, Finance Manager and other executive team members.
- Design and revise external partner operating toolkits and manuals for both the individual franchise owners
- Integrate IT solutions in various operational arenas such as customer management, point of sale, inventory, and water quality and roll up into ERP system
- Coordinate communication, reporting and compliance structures between technical, supply chain, franchise support, marketing, finance, development, training and managerial departments
- Organise & supervise the store build-out process and activities
- Develop reliable domestic and international suppliers for all inputs
- Setup the Human Resources of the Jibu Tanzania team
- Ensure regulatory compliance with all government agencies including standards and taxes
- Direct and coordinate the activities of the organisation including production, procurement, pricing, sales, and/or distribution of products
- Contribute & lead the senior leadership team responsible for strategic planning, team development, management of regulatory requirements, and growing a profitable social impact business.
- Setup customer service initiatives to ensure compliance and customer satisfaction
- Direct market and customer research efforts to achieve the organisations sales goals & support tactical marketing and planning activities
- Assist the MD in developing and overseeing long-term business strategies
- Assess and manage the principal risks of the business within operations
- Direct the development and dissemination of operational reports and metrics to keep key stakeholders informed and current on activities across all Jibu markets
- Support senior leadership team in business development efforts (loan applications, financial modelling, grant writing) to secure funding to grow the company.
This is a Senior executive management position, expected to work highly autonomously.
Manages high-level managers within the company, accountable for ensuring results are created
across the business units and functional areas.
1. Supply-chain Coordinator
2. Corporate Stores Manager
3. Store Build Out Manager
4. Area Managers
5. QC & Production Team
6. Admin Staff
Requirements for this Position
Minimum Experience Requirements:
- Experience both as a strategic leader and hands-on manager
- Able to build systems while ensuring focus on the details
- Successfully managed people at all levels and from varied backgrounds and cultures
- Proven track record developing successful managers and ensuring all team members are effective contributors to the business
- Strong business management experience; operations focus preferred
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in business in an emerging market context
- Cultural knowledge and experience working or living in a developed market context
- Fluent English skills
- Experience working a multi-unit business environment a plus
- Experience working in sub-Saharan Africa
Preferred Experience Requirements
- Experience working of living in Europe or United States
- Franchise experience
Minimum Education Requirements:
– Graduate level
Preferred Education Requirements:
– Franchise certification
- Street smarts to navigate both formal and informal components of the business
- The ability to design and build innovative, solid systems while ensuring buy-in and ownership
- An energetic self-starter, a proven problem-solver and someone willing to “roll up their sleeves” to do what it takes to get tough jobs done
- Ability to work strategically, creatively, flexibly and persistently to solve gnarly challenges
- Ability to coordinate a cross-functional team, from different disciplines and locations, and ensure effectiveness and efficiency through the operation
- Proven interpersonal, relationship and people management skills
- Flexibility and willingness to travel frequently within the region
- Experience in and ability to organise and improve on all
components of the Jibu end-to-end global supply chain to
optimise efficiency and cost
- A team player with a sense of adventure wanting to make a difference
- Personality profile: practical, persistent, likeable, resourceful, organizer (process-driven), likes challenges, strong sense of follow-up, attention to detail, hard worker, multitasker, humble.
How To Apply
Send resumes and statements of interest and experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the volume of applications, we may not be able to respond to every application we receive. If you have not received an invitation for an interview from us within 4 weeks of applying, please consider your application unsuccessful.