Business Development Manager (Energy Sector)
|Job Title:||Business Development Manager (Energy Sector)|
|Application Deadline:||APPLICATIONS CLOSED|
Anza supports high potential social entrepreneurs in Tanzania and contributes to the social innovation ecosystem. Our services assist entrepreneurs to strengthen their operations, increase profitability and scale their social impact. Through the Anza Accelerator, Anza provides entrepreneurs with 12 months of capacity building support, mentorship, technical assistance and access to affordable capital through our in-house loan fund.
Additionally, Anza provides business development services to assist larger organizations in developing and implementing strategic initiatives and programmes.
Anza has received funding from the Doen Foundation to run an energy track. This programme is targeted at energy entrepreneurs in the Kilimanjaro region with a possibility of expansion later on. The aim of this programme is helping these businesses to grow, improve profitability and increase the number of households with access to clean energy. This will be accomplished through group trainings and one-on-one advisory services.
The Business Development Manager will lead programme delivery in these regions, providing high quality services to entrepreneurs, working effectively with partners and managing the business development staff in pursuit of Anza’s vision. We are seeking candidates with strategic mindsets and the ability to execute quickly and skilfully in a start-up environment.
Specific responsibilities include:
Client Service Delivery (65%)
- Provide direct services to clients through group trainings and one-on-one advisory.
- Work closely with clients in order to improve the business by providing direct technical support.
- Provide informed, strategic, and realistic advice to help clients meet their objectives, or shift their objectives towards better sustainability/profitability.
- Employ the Anza Toolkit throughout engagement with clients.
- Develop standard operation procedures and quality or safety standards for solar systems used during practical lessons.
- Provide technical guidance to other personnel.
- Be responsible for the coordination of the energy project.;
- Being overall responsible for the monitoring and reporting the progress and financial position of the project.
- Connect clients to other services such as the Anza Growth Fund in addition to external funding sources, advising on how further investment impacts their business growth.
- Connect clients to market opportunities.
Management of Direct Client Services (25%)
- Manage Anza’s Lindi and Mtwara-based client service staff, ensuring high-quality and consistent services are being delivered to entrepreneurs.
- Provide quality control, oversight, and progress tracking of deliverables to clients.
- Serve as a resource to the client service staff as needed.
Operations and Administration (10%)
- Maintain appropriate accounting for expenses, working within a budget, and compliance with administrative policies and procedures.
- Work closely with the Anza Client Services Manager to report progress and implement evaluations.
- Maintain consistent and accurate use of all work planning tracking tools.
Requirements for this Position
The Business Development Manager will be an energy expert in business development in the region. S/he will understand the landscape of business and SME development in Tanzania and will have the network and skills to grow Anza’s support to clients. Successful candidates must navigate fast-paced and resource-constrained environments with enthusiasm, patience, and imagination. We prefer those individuals who have previously taken on leadership and management responsibilities. Qualifications include:
- Experience working in Tanzania or other growing African economies with micro, small and medium enterprises.
- Proven track record of leadership, planning and management responsibilities, including significant roles in staff supervision and team development.
- Strong financial foundation, including financial statement development, profitability analysis, cash flows, etc.
- Self-starter, with ability to produce results within budget and time deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and manage multiple deadlines – must be both strategic and operational.
- Ability to work with high-profile individuals by demonstrating high levels of discretion, professionalism, and responsiveness.
- Experience working in the energy sector required
- Familiarity with Tanzanian business regulations and relevant governing bodies.
- Unrelenting perseverance, personal integrity, and critical thinking skills.
- Management consulting experience strongly preferred.
- Must have excellent written and oral English and Swahili.
- 7+ years of work experience in relevant or applicable field.
- Candidates must possess excellent computer skills.
- Must be a Tanzanian national with excellent written and oral English and Swahili.
How To Apply
To apply for this position, please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter must explain why you are qualified for the position and why you are passionate about developing SMEs in Tanzania.